Cookies Notification

Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me...and a Challenge


It's my birthday today! I'm "turning into" 31, as my daughter would say. I tried to find a photo of me from 10 years ago, but the best I could do was 5 years ago. So here I am at 26 holding my cousin's new baby, dreaming of how happy I will one day be when I have my own little bundle of joy.

And now that I have my (now 3 year old!) bundle of joy, am I that happy? I am in ways, but I'm starting this Happiness Project for 2010 because I know there's room for improvement.

I'm going to start this improvement by trying to follow my Happiness Commandments for the whole year that I am 31! (I'm also hoping to break these up into more measurable New Year's resolutions/goals, but that's just the SLP in me coming through!)

Anyway, here are my happiness commandments so far. (Let's see if I can make it a week without breaking one of them...fingers crossed!!)

1 Live your priorities
2 Be in the moment/Pay attention
3 Do what needs to be done
4 Have fun
5 Work hard to make a connection
6 Do your best and be done with it
7 Be authentic
8 Really listen
9 Partner up
10 Be prompt and polite


If you had to come up with your own commandments to guide you toward happiness in the next year, what would they be? I'm sure mine wouldn't apply to everyone, and I'd love to hear what you think!

2 comments:

  1. TJ, I am so proud and inspired that you are taking on this challenge.

    I, too, have always struggled with finding the happiness in life and am also trying to make changes. Recently, a friend told me something that she tells her 5 children each day. It is so simple, yet so wise and I now try to repeat this principle to myself whenever I am getting caught up in the stresses of life: "I have the choice to be happy every day."

    It's not always easy, but I hope you will inspire me to keep it up! Thanks for being you!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks! Sometimes happiness IS a choice, which seems strange! But it IS "easy to be heavy, hard to be light."

    Let's remind each other to be light!

    ReplyDelete