Cookies Notification

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Laugh a Little


With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die. ~Abraham Lincoln


Today, my husband came home to a wife who was splattered with green paint, madly cleaning the kitchen, who hadn't saved him any spaghetti, and a daughter who had sprayed half a bottle of hair mousse in her hair while the aforementioned paint-spattered wife was cleaning the kitchen, and a house that was pretty much strewn with blankets and art supplies. And all I could do was just laugh.

Is this what I thought my life would be like as a young mom?

Nope. Not one bit.

I thought I'd be a stay-at-home, non-paint-covered, homeschooling, keeping the house clean, making gorgeous meals every day, never leaving hair mousse out in reach of the 3 year old, kind of young mom.

But apparently that is not to be.

Instead, I'm a how-in-the-word did I work over 40 hours last week?, try to spend a few quality moments with the child, heat up leftover spaghetti for dinner, where did all of these blankets come from?, will oil paint never ever wash off?, oops we're out of dog food again, oh my goodness my daughter is covered in hair mousse, I guess it must be bath night, kind of young mom.

At least my husband has it all together, and went and got dog food, and gave Flanna her bath while I wrote IEPs. This IS what I thought he'd be like as a young dad...funny, calm, pretty much amazing.

Yeah, so at least there's that.

Really, all I can do is laugh sometimes at how strange I feel in this life that I'm kinda making up as I go along.




-----


Speaking of laughing, this blog is hilarious and fun. It's about a couple who just adopted a teenage boy and are also expecting their first biological child very soon. I heart it.




How is your life different from what you'd expected right now? And what made YOU laugh today?

2 comments:

  1. Funny how life is never like we planned, isnt it? I never thought life as a new wife would entail spending all my time looking for new friends! But alas, as you say, we make it up as we go along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Some days I'm better at accepting (and even loving) that this really is my life, and other days, well, not so much. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete