Cookies Notification

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Each time I read this, I get a lump in my throat

"Weary of all who come with words, words but no language
I make my way to the snow-covered island.
The untamed has no words.
The unwritten pages spread out on every side!
I come upon the tracks of deer in the snow.
Language but no words."
--Tomas Tranströmer (From March 1979)



Maybe it's because this poet suffered a stroke and now has aphasia--a communication disorder I've treated as an SLP-- maybe that's why this poem is dear to my heart.  Or maybe it's because nature and language are such a huge part of what makes me happy, but each separately--and this poet reminds me that at times, they are one.  Or maybe it's because I too grow weary of words without meaning or depth, and yearn for true communication free from fear.  I'm not sure exactly why it is, but this verse chokes me up when I read it.  

I'm so happy to hear that the author, Tomas Transtromer, won the Nobel Prize in Literature this week.  I've only read snippets of his work here and there, but now I want to curl up with his whole book of poems to see what other wisdom and beauty are within.  

Preferably by a fireplace.  

Which I don't have.  

I may have to settle for on the couch with some hot tea.  And a University of Georgia snuggie.  Doesn't that sound poetic?  I know you envy my luxurious lifestyle. 

But seriously, check out this poet.  You'll be glad you did.  








What's your favorite poem?  Do you have any poems posted in your home that bring you joy or peace?  Please share them!  I'd love to hear.  







No comments:

Post a Comment