1. There are tons of fun traditions to share. At my house, we've participated in the following super-fun traditions (which have all brought me big happiness boosts, by the way!): decorating our front bushes with "spider-webs," creating ghosts from dum-dum pops and tissues, picking out a pumpkin, carving said pumpkin, baking pumpkin bread, finding the perfect costume, going to fall festivals, and of course, trunk-or-treating!
2. We have an excuse to buy candy and keep it in the house for a week or two. Not the healthiest reason, but, hey, candy is fun now and then! Especially Twizzlers. Yum.
3. We get to dress up and be silly. I love love love that my whole family dresses up to trick or treat together. This year, we won't have a theme for our costumes. (We would've never been able to top last year's costume, anyway!) But we're really excited about our outfits!
4. There's no pressure to buy gifts or cook anything fancy. No wondering whether the turkey is really cooked all the way through; no stressing over the perfect gift for anyone; no intricate recipes to follow, no hoping you didn't burn the rolls this year. Heck, you don't even have to buy candy if you don't want to. Just turn your porch light off and go trick or treating! (Although I highly recommend passing out candy if you get the chance--it's probably more fun than trick-or-treating, I think!)
5. Much of the fun happens outside during a time of wonderful weather. And you know how experiencing nature makes me happy! I mean, really--who can be sad when you're tromping through pumpkin fields on a breezy day, or riding on a hay ride bundled up beside friends, or walking down streets lined with gorgeous orange and yellow trees to trick-or-treat?
So, what do you think? Is Halloween the new Christmas? All the magic but none of the headache? All of the fun and none of the expense? Or do you think it's too dark and spooky to claim rank among the top holidays? I have to say, it really is one of my favorite times of year. So there you go, Nikki, you were right!
What do you love about Halloween?