Cookies Notification

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Make New Friends, But Keep the Old


In Girl Scouts growing up, we sang this song:


"Make new friends,
but keep the old;
One is silver,
and the other's gold."

And it's so funny how often that song has gone through my head throughout the years, because I really do find that my friends both new and old bring me such happiness.  
Flannery dancing with my friend's little one

Today, I was lucky enough to get to spend some time with my "old friends."  (Haha--I hate to call them old!  They are all really young and gorgeous, as you can see!)  And there is just something about being with people that I have known for ages, whose character I have seen proven repeatedly in zillions of moments over time, whose lives have intertwined with mine so often that we have our own collective memories--that just really makes me feel connected to the world, and to eternity.  I know that's cheesy and a little grandiose to say, but really, it's true.  Especially seeing so many generations of amazing folks in one room today, with our parents and our children all together singing and laughing (and the kids even dancing!), it was at once a grounding and an uplifting moment for me.

Flannery and my friend's daughter have an eerily similar profile.
Maybe we share a distant relative with a cute tiny nose?

My BFF Kelley trying to ruin my photo!  But it didn't work--she still looks amazing!
(And Flannery said after the party--"Kelley is so much fun!" --too sweet!)
So here's to "old friends!"  I can't wait to spend some more time with mine while we have a bit of time off this holiday!


Now, go forth and call your best friend from high school.  Or college.  Or preschool.  

No comments:

Post a Comment